Indirect Speeches

Indirect Speeches

                               I have been noticing this for the last few months.

                                     When we are having dinner, my parents pull out the subject of some awkward college boy in our colony who hasn't even scored enough to pass his 12th standard. 'Hmm' I say and continue my eating. After a minute of awkward silence, my mom asks, "So what do you think you would like to do in the future?" out of air as thin as that on Mt. Everest. I give a knee-jerk like Senorita, because that is what I am thinking about. It takes me a moment to realize and then I give some answer. 101.
                                     The next day it is my Grandpa. I am sitting on the couch with my legs up, watching some cricket match 9 years old, when he suddenly calls me. 'Let's go for a walk, he says.' I have to agree. We take a long walk and talk about the newest spin sensation in the West Indian team or something as vague. We get in the lift, and he asks,' So what do you think you want to do when you grow up?' 102.
                                     This has been happening to me a lot in from the time I turned 14. People have questioning me about my career dreams as newer open up to me. It is always difficult to answer these questions as I change my plans every day, sometimes hour. The worse fact is that this is never so direct. Parents and aspiring grandparents usually comment about some weirdo who left his BA SY in the middle and applied for MBA and there is a awkward two minute silence in which everybody is somehow looking at me. When I look up they all look away. It is all right, I say if you want to be updated about what I want to become. Then ask directly, I say also. Stop that annoying indirect advice statements. Spare me the riddles. It is not that I want to spend my entire life in some Cambodian Hindu temple as a priest. Or wait, do I?


To all the parents of teenagers in India. Conditions Apply*.

                                                                 
                                                               

Comments

  1. Keep your chin up Miheer! But here's another perspective - one of parents. We live in an era where our childrens' unfinished homework is considered reason enough by schools to summon us for a 'chat' with counsellors. There are companies that make a living by creating questionnaires to identify the strengths and potential of school students. Admission of ignorance about these draws baleful accusatory looks that say 'don't you even care about your child's future?'.

    We bumble along, doing the best we can to keep the pressure from percolating into our kids' lives. But then, sometimes, it just does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are going through but that is what every teenager faces.You are at the threshold of becoming an adult and everyone is as confused as you are.They also have become parents of a teen for the first time.Their teenage years are long past and they want to come up with the times.Everybody is a little anxious that you find the right way to your future.This causes them to react in such a way Always remember that they only have your good at heart and be a little understanding. This phase will be over in another five years or so ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miheer, when we want to ask you direct questions, we will, don't worry. And it is perfectly fine right now if you keep changing your mind every hour about what you want to become.

    We keep discussing these things because like my Aai said, we are trying to keep up with what's happening and are just trying to get a glimpse of what goes on in minds of kids your age. So the intention is not to give you some hints or indirect advice.

    We are just super excited and sometimes a bit worried about what is going to happen when the time finally comes for you to take that big decision.

    But we are always there for you and you can come to us and talk to us about anything under the sky. If you have any questions, dilemmas , we will try our best to help you and if we are unable to do so, we will go to someone who can.

    But one thing you will have to agree - many times direct questions don't get any proper answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miheer,
    What others(including your parents) think about you and what you think about others changes at every stage in your life.
    What is happening right now with you and your parents is normal situation in 14-year old teenager's house.
    My son is not even 3 months and I wonder whether he would become a doctor or a wild life photographer. What would be his likes, dislikes, hobbies? Before I think too much, its time to change his diaper!!

    Back to you Miheer
    The good part is there are folks around you who care and are excited about your future. They are trying to understand what is going on in your mind so that even they can prepare to support you in the best possible way. Miheer, this is the perfect age for you think and dream about what you want to become in future. Keep an open mind. Explore. Read about as many professions as you can at this stage. You never know what will capture your interest.
    You will not make the correct choice in the first thought or even first attempt. It is okay to keep shifting gears till you find the right fit. But if you cannot make a decision or you are in a dilemma, it is completely okay and for your benefit to ask your parents for direction and take in account their opinion. They have your best interests in their heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4 Unusual Life Lessons in My Usual 16 Years

I Don't Know Why

Old And New